On Wednesday, November 28th Honolulu Community College’s Staff Development Committee (SDC) hosted Iron Chef: 2018, a team cooking competition where garlic was the “secret ingredient.”
Each team was challenged to prepare a garlic dish that would serve 80 people. This year there were six teams, with the team from HonCC’s Business Office taking first place with their Garlic Chili Won Ton entry. The winning team members were Jason Ohta, Cindy Yang and Tuoi Tran.
SDC will present the Business Office Team with the coveted Trophy Pot after it is engraved indicating that they were the 2018 winners.
The other five teams were:
- Financial Aid’s Garlic FAnatics with their Garlic Meatball Sliders entry;
- Records, Admissions & Academic Counseling’s Da Garlic Girls with their Garlic Pasta with Garlic Bread entry;
- TRiO’s Garlictosis with their Garlicky Teriyaki Chicken with Fried Rice
- A.R.E.’s Team CARE with their Garlic Udon with Kimchi Garlic Tofu; and
- Construction Academy’s Construction Academy Crew with their Garlic Shrimp entry
Attendees were asked to donate an entry fee of $5 at the door or $5 worth of rubbah slippahs that would benefit Kaiʻulani Elementary School.
Each attendee received a raffle ticket giving them a chance to win a prize from SDC. They were also invited to play games like Garlic Tic-Tac-Toe or Garlic Toss to win addition raffle tickets and take pictures at the photo booth.
This yearʻs SDC members are:
- Dee Akiu,
- Valerie Domingo,
- Johanna Falenofoa,
- Greg Kashigi,
- Layne Katsumoto,
- Lara Kong,
- Lisa Lono,
- Nida Lorenzo,
- Jason Ohta,
- Kristi Teruya,
- Mata Tufele, and
- Honorary Member, Jarret Yip
The SDC plans on hosthing a 2019 Iron Chef competion.