While approximately ¾ (71%) of the Earth’s surface is water, and more than 95% of the word’s ocean holds all of the planet’s water, less than 3% of it is fresh & only 1% of that freshwater is accessible.
In fact, we consume very little of our drinking water, less than only 1% of the treated water produced by water utilities is actually consumed. Approximately 40% of a family’s water use goes down the toilet & another 30% is used to take a bath/shower. Doing laundry & dishes uses 15% while another 5% is loss due to leaks.
Here are 5 tips to getyou started on saving water around the house:
- Plug the drain when you shave: Running the water when you shave uses approximately 1 gallon of water per minute. However, a stopped basin needs only ½ a gallon for an adequate shave.
- Detect a leak & plug it: A toilet that leaks as little as 2 teaspoons a minute equates to 15 gallons wasted in a day, 105 in a week & almost 5,500 gallons in one year.
- Get a head… A new shower head: Shower heads manufactured in the US are required by law to release no more than 2.5 gallons of water per minute. After you install super low-flow shower heads “shower like a sailor” – get wet, turn off the water, soap up, scrub clean, shampoo, shave & rinse off.
- Dishwashers… Filler ʻer up!: Since a dishwasher with a small load uses the same amount of water as a full load, run your dishwasher when it is at “full capacity.” You also do not need to “wash” your dishes before you “wash your dishes” in the dishwasher. Just scrape off the food, rinse & then load the dishwasher to “fullcapacity.”
- Work 9 – 5… Don’t water your lawn: The Honolulu Board of Water Supply suggests watering your lawn before 9 a.m. or after 5 p.m. because water evaporates quickly. By watering in the early morning, evening, or even at night ensures that you are watering your lawn & plants.
Once you have mastered these 5 tips, add to your “Water Wise Wisdom” by adding more conservation techniques into your tool kit. Here are some resources to get you started:
- 7 Ways to Save Water
- 25 Things You Can Do To Prevent Water Waste
- 25 Ways to Conserve Water in the Home and Yard
- 10 Simple Ways to Conserve Water in Hawaiʻi